#LoveLoveLove

#LoveLoveLove

Friday, November 30, 2012

Home is where the ♥ is

"Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home." - Philip Phillips, Home


On this last day of November, I find myself sprawled out on the new carpet in the new family room of my new house, reminiscing about pretty much everything in my life that's led to this moment.  To do this properly, I crept down to my semi-scary unfinished basement and dug out my "memory box" - a rubbermaid storage container I've had since high school that is filled with the most ridiculous content - notes passed in class; funny pictures from school dances; dried up flower petals; sentimental greeting cards; sappy love letter-esque emails from long-burned-out old flames. As you might imagine, there are lots of laughs and lots of tears (and LOTS of embarrassment) stuffed in this old container.  It's sort of funny and perfect to see that over the course of the last 13 years or so, I've pretty much stayed the same person.  Always biting off more than I can chew and enjoying even the most stressful parts of it.  Passionately throwing myself into opportunities and relationships. Always hoping for more and fighting for the way I think things should be. And - always feeling bittersweet around the holiday season. 

At the age of 30 and for the first time in a loooong time, something feels different.  A good different.  A warm, fluffy, sunshine and rainbows kind of different.  I suspect it has to do with the fact that I am very happily settled in my new home.

Starting to decorate for Christmas

Looking forward to preparing many great meals here!
 Cozy Master Bedroom

That's right - we've only been here for about three weeks, but it has definitely already made the transition from house to home.  Cameron loves running from the window in Brian's office down the hallway into our bedroom and smashing his face up against the glass panes of the door that leads to our balcony. On Saturday mornings, Brian clicks on the fireplace in our room and we stay put until Cameron peeps.  I have a kitchen that fits all my goods and gadgets and have already gotten to make all kinds of fun messes while cooking meals full of love.

And Mowgli, our burly little Westie, has all kinds of nooks and crannies in which to hide his chew toys and a cozy place to lay.

Cameron visits his new neighborhood playground
 

Mama and Cameron snuggle on the couch before bedtime

 So, on this last day in November, a month where most people pause to consider all the things they are thankful for, I'm content to share that I'm most thankful for 30 years worth of memories and experiences I can look back on AND the opportunity to make another 30 (or 60!) years worth in our new home.



No comments:

Post a Comment